Skip to main content

A Few of my Favorite Things


I just came back from a trip to Estonia. It was my first trip where I was completely alone the entire time. No travel companions, no friend anticipating my arrival, no one else dictating my schedule, unless you count my rather overbearing couchsurfing host. Tallinn, the capital of Estonia, is a pretty town to visit but I think the biggest thing I learned was that I prefer traveling with people. Places are more fun to see and food is more fun to eat when the experience is shared.

That being said, I don’t think I would have done what turned out being my favorite thing from the trip if I had had anyone else with me: taking pictures of doors. To be clear, these aren’t just any doors. They are colorful and happy. Each door I saw was unique, either in color scheme or detailing.

Here are a few examples:







And here is a collage of some of my pictures put together. 


I took 30 door pictures so this is only about half. This whole project started when I chanced upon a poster in the Tourist Center that looked like my collage. I decided that instead of spending 10 Euro on buying such a thing, it would be cooler to make your own.

And now, on to my other favorite things. Some of these are quirky things I’ve found about Finland but have come to love. Others I wish we could have in the US.

1.     Cars actually stop and wait for you to cross when you’re trying to cross the street instead of speeding through the crosswalk so they, heaven forbid, have to wait for you. They often even slow down well before they get to the crosswalk.

2.     Speaking of waiting, people hold the pedestrian crossing signs to heart. If it says wait, people will wait even if the street is mostly deserted. This is not true in Helsinki and it isn’t true of everyone in Turku either but many people do wait.

Image result for dish drying cabinet3.  Above every kitchen sink there is a cabinet to put your clean dishes to dry. Not only do these cabinets function as effective storage spaces for your dishes, they don’t take up extra room and they keep the counters from getting all wet because of large clunky dish drying racks. This is not unique to Finland, I’ve seen them in several European countries. The US needs to get with the program. A Finnish woman named Maiju Gebhard invented these to save time spent on washing dishes. Apparently the idea for these was originally patented in the US as well but I’ve never seen one.

4.     There is a cute amount of attention to detail. In the parking lots, for example, there are giant cherries (or apples, I can’t tell which) all around the Student Village to block cars from entering certain areas. A parking lot in Helsinki is marked off by giant stone turtles. It’s much nicer to have a cherry blocking your path than a barricade.


5.    And finally, Finns accept silence. I am a quiet person and tend to not talk a lot. Here this is the cultural norm. Oddly enough, I’ve become more outgoing, relatively speaking, since coming here and I attribute this in part to the fact that I feel I can be myself, reserved or not.

Comments

  1. beautiful doors! an experience waiting behind each one! <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Small Acts of Love

A game of hockey going on on the river My boyfriend plays on a hockey team from September to May. It isn’t an official team—they don’t play games throughout the season and aren’t in any leagues—but they meet diligently every week for practice (he actually plays with two teams but it still isn’t clear to me what the difference is between them except that one team is better than the other). This requires some dedication because practices for both teams are either very late in the evening or very early in the morning. At the end of their season, before they take a break for the summer, the players come together and have a full-length game. I wanted to go last year and this year but wasn’t able to make it either time. Instead I asked him to send me a picture of himself in all of his gear. Last year he sent me a selfie of himself before the game, but without his gear on so I hoped this year he would manage to get a picture with both. He did not. I was willing to drop it, figur

Finnish Differences

Time is a funny thing. It seems to move in leaps and bounds at times and at times it moves slower than molasses. Right now it's doing both. I can't believe it's only been a week and yet I can't believe it's already been a week. Sunset in Helsinki This week I've been in Helsinki for our Fulbright orientation. We learned a lot of information and it would be impossible for me to fit all of it into a reasonable amount of space so I will leave that summary for another day. But a week has given me some time to notice some differences in how things work in Finland and how they work in the US. I thought I would highlight five here that encompass a fair variety of my experiences so far. I have to give credit to my friend Marie who helped me with this list. Many of these are her ideas. 1. Nature is Everywhere This one is first because I think it is the most important one for Finns. Finnish people love nature and it shows in the way cities are built (at least th

And so it begins!

Only 2 more days before I leave for my next adventure! Over these past couple of weeks, I’ve had a lot of questions and they’ve followed a general pattern. I thought this would be the perfect place to answer all of them at once. For the geographically inclined, Finland is far north right next to Russia. It is so far north that a fourth of the country is in the Arctic Circle. This means that this part of Finland experiences the midnight sun, when the sun never sets in the summer, and the polar night, when the sun doesn’t rise during the winter. The far north is also known as the Lapland. Turku, the city that will be my new home for the next two years, is in the southwest corner of Finland so my day and nights won’t be as extreme as the Lapland but it will be more extreme than what we experience here in the Midwest. My plane journey to Finland will be a total of nine hours, with a very short layover in Iceland. Once I land in Helsinki, I only have an hour-forty-minute lo