Skip to main content

The Santas are Coming

A friend of mine said that while he was in Japan, he was asked to dress up as Santa for the kids at the school he taught at. Someone asked him where “he” (meaning Santa) was from and he said, being an American, the North Pole. A teacher immediately corrected him and said, “Santa is from Finland!”



Finland certainly takes this impression very seriously. The biggest attraction in Rovaniemi in Finnish Lapland is Santa Claus’s Village, which I journeyed to last December. It was rather awkward visiting Santa with no kids in tow and I didn’t really know what to say to him but we could not go all the way to the Santa Claus Village and not see Santa. (More fun than seeing Santa himself was witnessing the marriage proposal that happened in front of him between the couple in front of us in line.)



A sign advertising to hire a Santa Claus
I thought that Santa’s Village was the extent of Finland cultivating the imagination of five year olds who earnestly believe in Santa. Turns out, parents take great pains to preserve children’s belief in Santa.



In the US there is a hotline where children can call the North Pole and kids can talk to Santa to tell him what they want for Christmas. Finland took this a step farther and made it into a TV broadcast, set in a toy workshop complete with elves working in the background while Santa takes calls.



And while in the US we say that Santa comes in the middle of the night, conveniently when everyone is sleeping, in Finland he comes during the day on the 24th. This means that someone needs to dress up as Santa to deliver children their presents and make an actual visit to the house. For younger children, a father or uncle can sneak out to run an “errand” and come back dressed as Santa and then return as themselves without their children being any wiser.



For slightly older ones, however, parents actually hire people to come to their homes at appointed times. Someone I know who is a Scout (like boy scouts and girl scouts in the US) is in charge of scheduling the scouts in his group to visit homes and deliver children their presents. On the 24th, they will don their red suits and white beards and give children the gifts that their parents bought for them.  



Tonttuja (Christmas elves) by the dozen
Others are scheduled in less official a capacity. In my boyfriend’s building, we saw a handwritten ad for someone hiring himself out in case anyone in the building needed to order a visit from Santa. It’s an adorable sign for an even more adorable idea.



So I don’t know where Santa lives but I do know that this December 24th there will be hundreds of men, old and young, dressed like him visiting children across Finland. They will hop into their cars to go from one house to another, spreading a little bit of joy door to door.



Have a happy holiday!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story time

I want to use this entry to write some of the stories that I think have been important or interesting while here in Finland. They aren't necessarily related to each other or even remotely profound in any way but they are all important to me for various reasons. The first is not even a specific moment but a place and a feeling. Right in front of the cathedral there is a bridge that crosses the Aura River. It is a beautiful bridge, with a cobbled stone path running parallel to the busy street. The cathedral stands tall on one side of the bridge and around it is a small square, also with cobbled stone. On the other side of the cathedral, running all the way along the river to the harbor is a promenade speckled with coffee shops and benches. One day when crossing the bridge I heard the unmistakable sound of bagpipes. Sure enough, there was a man playing them while standing close to the bridge. Hearing him filled me with a sense of gratitude for how many people

Finnish Differences

Time is a funny thing. It seems to move in leaps and bounds at times and at times it moves slower than molasses. Right now it's doing both. I can't believe it's only been a week and yet I can't believe it's already been a week. Sunset in Helsinki This week I've been in Helsinki for our Fulbright orientation. We learned a lot of information and it would be impossible for me to fit all of it into a reasonable amount of space so I will leave that summary for another day. But a week has given me some time to notice some differences in how things work in Finland and how they work in the US. I thought I would highlight five here that encompass a fair variety of my experiences so far. I have to give credit to my friend Marie who helped me with this list. Many of these are her ideas. 1. Nature is Everywhere This one is first because I think it is the most important one for Finns. Finnish people love nature and it shows in the way cities are built (at least th

And so it begins!

Only 2 more days before I leave for my next adventure! Over these past couple of weeks, I’ve had a lot of questions and they’ve followed a general pattern. I thought this would be the perfect place to answer all of them at once. For the geographically inclined, Finland is far north right next to Russia. It is so far north that a fourth of the country is in the Arctic Circle. This means that this part of Finland experiences the midnight sun, when the sun never sets in the summer, and the polar night, when the sun doesn’t rise during the winter. The far north is also known as the Lapland. Turku, the city that will be my new home for the next two years, is in the southwest corner of Finland so my day and nights won’t be as extreme as the Lapland but it will be more extreme than what we experience here in the Midwest. My plane journey to Finland will be a total of nine hours, with a very short layover in Iceland. Once I land in Helsinki, I only have an hour-forty-minute lo