Skip to main content

The Necessity of Finland


Before I moved out of my apartment in my hometown and left for Finland, I decided to have a few friends over for dinner. It was a big deal because 1) I didn’t really invite people over 2) I decided to make Indian food, on my own. I was extremely nervous the entire afternoon and stayed mostly quiet while my guests were there. They had fun, which was my consolation, but part of me was glad when it was over.

This dinner came to mind the other day when I invited almost everyone I know in Finland for Ice Cream Sunday (I was rather pleased with the name). The people I called were classmates in my program, from my Finnish classes, friends I have met at events; in other words, an odd assortment of people who didn’t know each other very well. This evening I was not quiet or nervous. Instead I felt in charge and poised. I knew what I was doing.

There were two years in between these two parties. In the intervening years I came to Finland. I completed a Masters degree, played MC at an event, traveled alone for the first time, among a host of other things. There was a tremendous amount of growth that let this new me host a party without feeling anxious.

A visiting professor from the U.S. who I was touring around questioned me if this growth would have happened even if I had stayed in the U.S.; whether moving to Finland was completely necessary to bring the change from the first dinner party to the second gathering. I don’t remember how I answered him; it was an answer cobbled together in the moment.

But I am convinced that being abroad was key to this growth. It forced me to reach out to others, because without friends, the long dark winter only feels longer and darker. I had to learn different codes for everything, from how to stand in line at the bank (take a number or you will never reach the counter, as I learned the hard way first day I was here), to socializing with Finns (it takes a very long time to feel any level of closeness, a very long time). You must learn to adapt, bending yourself to fit the new molds you find yourself in, all the while preserving who you are.

Being in Finland allowed me to redefine who I was on my own terms in a society in which being yourself as the core of national identity. Here I can make presentations in front of large audiences or be quiet and reserved at social gatherings. Being different, looking different, I must always be prepared to adapt so I can blend in as much as possible. At the same time, I feel a sense of freedom to be different, to be American, to be Indian, because that is who I am.

Contradictions in my identity abound but I revel in them and embrace them now rather than trying to be just one thing. I can be Finnish, American, Indian. I can be hostess at a party. I can stand in front of a crowd and consider myself modestly (very modestly) funny. I can be me.

Comments

  1. OH M G, what a beautiful journey!!!! your redefined sense of self is absolutely powerful. I think many humans desire to do what you did but never find the space or courage to do so!!! I think I've had to redefine myself several times over the years in smaller milestones, but the biggest changes were probably during the transition to college and then when my mother was sick for a year in culmination of a cruise trip with a friend. It redefined for me new emphasis on values and the reduction of emphasis on other values in addition to tolerance. What I tolerated became intolerable what some things that were personally irritating were now forgiving and not bothersome. Thanks for sharing and inviting me to reflect on my journey too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Story time

I want to use this entry to write some of the stories that I think have been important or interesting while here in Finland. They aren't necessarily related to each other or even remotely profound in any way but they are all important to me for various reasons. The first is not even a specific moment but a place and a feeling. Right in front of the cathedral there is a bridge that crosses the Aura River. It is a beautiful bridge, with a cobbled stone path running parallel to the busy street. The cathedral stands tall on one side of the bridge and around it is a small square, also with cobbled stone. On the other side of the cathedral, running all the way along the river to the harbor is a promenade speckled with coffee shops and benches. One day when crossing the bridge I heard the unmistakable sound of bagpipes. Sure enough, there was a man playing them while standing close to the bridge. Hearing him filled me with a sense of gratitude for how many people

And so it begins!

Only 2 more days before I leave for my next adventure! Over these past couple of weeks, I’ve had a lot of questions and they’ve followed a general pattern. I thought this would be the perfect place to answer all of them at once. For the geographically inclined, Finland is far north right next to Russia. It is so far north that a fourth of the country is in the Arctic Circle. This means that this part of Finland experiences the midnight sun, when the sun never sets in the summer, and the polar night, when the sun doesn’t rise during the winter. The far north is also known as the Lapland. Turku, the city that will be my new home for the next two years, is in the southwest corner of Finland so my day and nights won’t be as extreme as the Lapland but it will be more extreme than what we experience here in the Midwest. My plane journey to Finland will be a total of nine hours, with a very short layover in Iceland. Once I land in Helsinki, I only have an hour-forty-minute lo

Small Acts of Love

A game of hockey going on on the river My boyfriend plays on a hockey team from September to May. It isn’t an official team—they don’t play games throughout the season and aren’t in any leagues—but they meet diligently every week for practice (he actually plays with two teams but it still isn’t clear to me what the difference is between them except that one team is better than the other). This requires some dedication because practices for both teams are either very late in the evening or very early in the morning. At the end of their season, before they take a break for the summer, the players come together and have a full-length game. I wanted to go last year and this year but wasn’t able to make it either time. Instead I asked him to send me a picture of himself in all of his gear. Last year he sent me a selfie of himself before the game, but without his gear on so I hoped this year he would manage to get a picture with both. He did not. I was willing to drop it, figur