Skip to main content

Holding Sand

 My mother once gave me the sound advice to avoid holding tightly onto things (she was specifically talking about people at the time) because if you do, they have a habit of slipping away. She did this through a marvelous metaphor that went like this:

If you have sand in your hand and make a fist, the sand begins to fall out and you are left with less sand than you started with. If you gently cup you hand and let the sand come in however, it remains in your hand, and you can perhaps even add more.

This metaphor has stuck with me because it helped me with the problem that I was having back then. But I’ve come back to it again and again and slowly been realizing the smaller and more subtle ways that I grab onto things. These things are now always visible or tangible, but they still have important implications.

Take meditation. I meditate every day. It’s like brushing my teeth, I simply can’t skip this part of my day. But unlike brushing my teeth, which is a methodical and easy task to accomplish by following the same routine every day, the quality of my meditation changes from day to day (even from moment to moment).

There have been a few days, however, when I felt something profound. These meditations left me inspired and eager to come back to my meditation. The next time I sat, I would anticipate the same thrill that I felt in the previous one. I would try to replicate what I had thought or done the previous time, hoping that it would work again.

Invariably though, the next meditation rarely went as well as original. This is just how it often goes with meditation but I eventually realized that my attempt to replicate the good meditation was making current meditations less satisfying. It wasn’t just “how it goes,” it was my hand closing into a fist around my previous feelings in meditation, resulting in the sand of the potential of my present meditations falling out.

This is because meditation is not a routine activity. It is a creative. Not in the sense that I do something new every time I meditate, but because I need to approach it with fresh enthusiasm and joy every time. By holding onto the results of the previous meditation, I allowed that enthusiasm to become stale. What worked last time was because that was what I needed then. But this was now, and I needed to stay present to figure out what this moment needed rather than holding on to the past.

And isn’t that what meditation is for (in part)? To learn to stay in the present moment; to be content and grateful for what is now.

This probably resonates with me at the moment especially because I am in a period of waiting. After years of constant activity in which I was making everything happen, I have reached a point where I have done what I can and now need to wait before I can continue. There is a part of me that panics every night about this, feeling anxiety that I am not doing enough but another part has slowly been gaining strength. That part reminds me that frantic activity might look productive on the outside but those looks can be deceiving.

So now I wait and try to be content and grateful for what is now. Because this moment won’t come back. And hopefully, neither will I want it to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Small Acts of Love

A game of hockey going on on the river My boyfriend plays on a hockey team from September to May. It isn’t an official team—they don’t play games throughout the season and aren’t in any leagues—but they meet diligently every week for practice (he actually plays with two teams but it still isn’t clear to me what the difference is between them except that one team is better than the other). This requires some dedication because practices for both teams are either very late in the evening or very early in the morning. At the end of their season, before they take a break for the summer, the players come together and have a full-length game. I wanted to go last year and this year but wasn’t able to make it either time. Instead I asked him to send me a picture of himself in all of his gear. Last year he sent me a selfie of himself before the game, but without his gear on so I hoped this year he would manage to get a picture with both. He did not. I was willing to drop it, figur

Finnish Differences

Time is a funny thing. It seems to move in leaps and bounds at times and at times it moves slower than molasses. Right now it's doing both. I can't believe it's only been a week and yet I can't believe it's already been a week. Sunset in Helsinki This week I've been in Helsinki for our Fulbright orientation. We learned a lot of information and it would be impossible for me to fit all of it into a reasonable amount of space so I will leave that summary for another day. But a week has given me some time to notice some differences in how things work in Finland and how they work in the US. I thought I would highlight five here that encompass a fair variety of my experiences so far. I have to give credit to my friend Marie who helped me with this list. Many of these are her ideas. 1. Nature is Everywhere This one is first because I think it is the most important one for Finns. Finnish people love nature and it shows in the way cities are built (at least th

And so it begins!

Only 2 more days before I leave for my next adventure! Over these past couple of weeks, I’ve had a lot of questions and they’ve followed a general pattern. I thought this would be the perfect place to answer all of them at once. For the geographically inclined, Finland is far north right next to Russia. It is so far north that a fourth of the country is in the Arctic Circle. This means that this part of Finland experiences the midnight sun, when the sun never sets in the summer, and the polar night, when the sun doesn’t rise during the winter. The far north is also known as the Lapland. Turku, the city that will be my new home for the next two years, is in the southwest corner of Finland so my day and nights won’t be as extreme as the Lapland but it will be more extreme than what we experience here in the Midwest. My plane journey to Finland will be a total of nine hours, with a very short layover in Iceland. Once I land in Helsinki, I only have an hour-forty-minute lo