Skip to main content

Sounds of New York City


To me New York City is associated with a constant barrage of sounds. My heater makes a racket at least once an hour for ten minutes while it spews and spits steam to warm my room enough that I have the window open even in January. When the heater isn’t making a racket, my fridge is buzzing and thrumming.

This is not to mention the sounds that come from outside. Sirens are a constant (though blessedly not between 10pm-7am for some reason). And loudest are the garbage men who come twice a day (some times) and bring with them sounds of yelling, the whirring of the truck and banging that all carry to my ninth floor room. They can come any time between 7 or 8 in the morning and often spur me to go work out earlier than I might have to get away from the noise.

At night, between my heater and fridge there is constant noise while I sleep. One night when I lay awake in my bed, I suddenly realized that the room was completely quiet. No sounds coming from outside, no heater spitting and no fridge thrumming. I ran away to Finland over break chasing this very silence (admittedly, New York cannot compete with Finland for silence) but when my room was so quiet my only thought was “What if the heater’s broken?”.

Sometime this past week though, I noticed a different sound in my room. A sound that seemed to be coming from my kitchen and could only be described as scratching. Yet during the day I could never hear the sound and when I checked my cabinets at night there was nothing unusual. So my worrying mind jumped to termites: I imagined termites burrowing deep in the wood and having my cabinet bottom collapse one day becasue of their tunneling. When I ran this theory by my parents my mother immediately said it wasn’t possible.

Just as I was starting to think that perhaps I needed to have someone look into what the cause was, I heard the sound again, but this time it sounded like the rustling of a bag. There’s only one cabinet that contains bags so I went straight to it and opened it with more than a little trepidation. As much as I wanted to know what it was, I was scared of what I would find (my worst fear was be finding something dead, or that flew in my face).

Confirming that the sound was indeed coming from the cabinet, I decided to search my room for stick to rustle the bag. Unsuccessful, I went back to the cabinet and at that precise moment, I saw the source of the rustling and scratching.

A mouse. A cute, adorable, tiny mouse. And so I screamed and promptly shut the cabinet door.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story time

I want to use this entry to write some of the stories that I think have been important or interesting while here in Finland. They aren't necessarily related to each other or even remotely profound in any way but they are all important to me for various reasons. The first is not even a specific moment but a place and a feeling. Right in front of the cathedral there is a bridge that crosses the Aura River. It is a beautiful bridge, with a cobbled stone path running parallel to the busy street. The cathedral stands tall on one side of the bridge and around it is a small square, also with cobbled stone. On the other side of the cathedral, running all the way along the river to the harbor is a promenade speckled with coffee shops and benches. One day when crossing the bridge I heard the unmistakable sound of bagpipes. Sure enough, there was a man playing them while standing close to the bridge. Hearing him filled me with a sense of gratitude for how many people

Small Acts of Love

A game of hockey going on on the river My boyfriend plays on a hockey team from September to May. It isn’t an official team—they don’t play games throughout the season and aren’t in any leagues—but they meet diligently every week for practice (he actually plays with two teams but it still isn’t clear to me what the difference is between them except that one team is better than the other). This requires some dedication because practices for both teams are either very late in the evening or very early in the morning. At the end of their season, before they take a break for the summer, the players come together and have a full-length game. I wanted to go last year and this year but wasn’t able to make it either time. Instead I asked him to send me a picture of himself in all of his gear. Last year he sent me a selfie of himself before the game, but without his gear on so I hoped this year he would manage to get a picture with both. He did not. I was willing to drop it, figur

And so it begins!

Only 2 more days before I leave for my next adventure! Over these past couple of weeks, I’ve had a lot of questions and they’ve followed a general pattern. I thought this would be the perfect place to answer all of them at once. For the geographically inclined, Finland is far north right next to Russia. It is so far north that a fourth of the country is in the Arctic Circle. This means that this part of Finland experiences the midnight sun, when the sun never sets in the summer, and the polar night, when the sun doesn’t rise during the winter. The far north is also known as the Lapland. Turku, the city that will be my new home for the next two years, is in the southwest corner of Finland so my day and nights won’t be as extreme as the Lapland but it will be more extreme than what we experience here in the Midwest. My plane journey to Finland will be a total of nine hours, with a very short layover in Iceland. Once I land in Helsinki, I only have an hour-forty-minute lo