Skip to main content

Love Letter


One of my friends requested that I write a post about love. Now felt like a good a time as any for such a post. Admittedly, this post is extremely personal and I have more than a few misgivings about putting this out for the world to see.

I wish that I could write about how I was in a wonderful relationship. My first somewhat real relationship was a whirlwind of emotions but it ended soon after it began. It’s end though allowed me to appreciate the other kinds of love that I am blessed to be surrounded by.

These are the wonderful people around me who have come, in all forms and at all times, to lift me up during times of doubt, worry, pain or loneliness. 

My class loves potlucks and recently we had another one. Since my kitchen has proved to be a good location for such gatherings in the past, I volunteered to host it again. The day of the potluck turned out to be a very emotionally low day for me. I spent much of it crying and then trying in vain to get something done when I wasn’t. But then the love began pouring in. Two friends, one who figured out what was going on and one who I explicitly called because I needed an uplift came over an hour before to gently chide me and my thoughts away from the train wreck they were threatening to become. When my classmates arrived, they let me be a terrible host and started setting things up without forcing me to join them before I was ready. They welcomed me when I was there and yet gave the space I wanted. And as they left, several offered to be a listening ear if I needed one, without asking for any information on what was going on. I wish I had shown my gratitude then.

I have said before that Finland has allowed me to create a new identity for myself and everyone who I have met here has had a part to play in this creation. It is because of the people I am surrounded by that I have had the courage and motivation to continue refining myself into a better version of myself. They have offered encouragement, tough love, and admonished me when I have been unreasonable.

This is not to say the people at home have not been part of the process. My family, for one, is a rock that I wouldn’t get very far without. And my friends back at home have been doing all of these things for a very long time. It took leaving for me to finally appreciate them.

There may be plenty of times when darkness creeps in. But I still know that with all the love I get during those times, I am one of the lucky ones.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Differences

Time is a funny thing. It seems to move in leaps and bounds at times and at times it moves slower than molasses. Right now it's doing both. I can't believe it's only been a week and yet I can't believe it's already been a week. Sunset in Helsinki This week I've been in Helsinki for our Fulbright orientation. We learned a lot of information and it would be impossible for me to fit all of it into a reasonable amount of space so I will leave that summary for another day. But a week has given me some time to notice some differences in how things work in Finland and how they work in the US. I thought I would highlight five here that encompass a fair variety of my experiences so far. I have to give credit to my friend Marie who helped me with this list. Many of these are her ideas. 1. Nature is Everywhere This one is first because I think it is the most important one for Finns. Finnish people love nature and it shows in the way cities are built (at least th...

Small Acts of Love

A game of hockey going on on the river My boyfriend plays on a hockey team from September to May. It isn’t an official team—they don’t play games throughout the season and aren’t in any leagues—but they meet diligently every week for practice (he actually plays with two teams but it still isn’t clear to me what the difference is between them except that one team is better than the other). This requires some dedication because practices for both teams are either very late in the evening or very early in the morning. At the end of their season, before they take a break for the summer, the players come together and have a full-length game. I wanted to go last year and this year but wasn’t able to make it either time. Instead I asked him to send me a picture of himself in all of his gear. Last year he sent me a selfie of himself before the game, but without his gear on so I hoped this year he would manage to get a picture with both. He did not. I was willing to drop it, figur...

Ali Baba in Morocco

Try as I might I cannot find one single theme that can adequately tie together these past two weeks in Morocco. Morocco is such a colorful, vibrant country that trying to find only one common thread is rather difficult. Instead, I will use pictures to tell some of the stories from our trip. And I promise that there is a playful reason for the title. 1. Aourir When we were going through passport control in Morocco, we were asked to provide our address. It was difficult for us to figure out the address of the Airbnb we had booked and we had to write the closest approximation we could come up with since we weren’t even sure what city it was in. Turns out this is because it is in between two cities, Aourir and Tamraght. We learned that Auorir is also known as Banana Village because of the many banana trees that grow around it. The markets were full of shops that seemed to only sell bananas.   The small coastal cities may not be...