Skip to main content

Testing the Boundaries


I’ve been eating a lot of ice cream while here at Berkeley. I justify it by saying that I don’t eat that much so I need the calories but it’s getting to a point where even I feel I need to stop. And when I start to feel I need to take a break from ice cream then I know there’s a problem.

Barring my ice cream misadventures, two important holidays went by in the past week and a half, one in my birth country and one in my adopted country. So I like to think that I celebrated both over this weekend when I went camping for the first time (one of those days was one of my few no-ice-cream days for the past two weeks). In some ways, camping combined Finnishness and Americanness into one wonderful experience: being out in nature as the Finns do in Midsummer and eating a lot of puppy chow and banana muffins for the American side.

Though you can’t compare the two, camping had a different kind of uplifting effect than staying in a summer cottage. Something about making a fire and cooking over it, waking up under the stars and peeing in the forest is profoundly spiritual as well as calming.

Admittedly, I did not feel at all so positive before the trip, or even on the first day. The idea of living out in the woods without running water, having to cook over a fire and being dirty for two days while hiking with people much more outdoorsy than I have ever thought myself to be was nerve-racking.

In some ways, this trip tested my boundaries. It tested my boundaries for pain when I slipped and fell squarely on my bottom, leading to a spectacularly purple bruise that is still painful four days later. My boundaries for acceptable levels of cleanliness were tested since I did not shower for two days and was forced to wear the wet, sandy socks on one of them. It tested my boundaries for new situations. Besides my friend and her husband, both of whom I adore, one of his friends and his cousin went with us, neither of whom I had met before and who were both camping pros.

It was this boundary that was tested the most. The boundary that makes us want to save face in front of strangers; to appear more put together than we feel. It put a strain on me for the first part of the trip that made enjoying the beauty around difficult, though not impossible.

I still loved sleeping under the stars on the first night on a picnic table. It wasn’t the most conventional of places to sleep but it felt amazing to have the universe and trees as a canopy above me. I loved hearing the sound of the river next to our campsite, the waters roaring as they attempted to drown out the sound of the campers next to us. I loved watching my friend’s husband and his cousin coax the fire out from the wood and then tracking its progression as it slowly engulfed the logs.
 
Fortunately, I came to realize that even though I felt like the weakest link of our small group, this was more of a figment of my imagination than a reality. And therein lay the spirituality of the camping. Out in nature, where we were stripped of many, though definitely not all, of our modern comforts, reality was easier to find. I will definitely be going camping again, holiday or no holiday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finnish Differences

Time is a funny thing. It seems to move in leaps and bounds at times and at times it moves slower than molasses. Right now it's doing both. I can't believe it's only been a week and yet I can't believe it's already been a week. Sunset in Helsinki This week I've been in Helsinki for our Fulbright orientation. We learned a lot of information and it would be impossible for me to fit all of it into a reasonable amount of space so I will leave that summary for another day. But a week has given me some time to notice some differences in how things work in Finland and how they work in the US. I thought I would highlight five here that encompass a fair variety of my experiences so far. I have to give credit to my friend Marie who helped me with this list. Many of these are her ideas. 1. Nature is Everywhere This one is first because I think it is the most important one for Finns. Finnish people love nature and it shows in the way cities are built (at least th

Small Acts of Love

A game of hockey going on on the river My boyfriend plays on a hockey team from September to May. It isn’t an official team—they don’t play games throughout the season and aren’t in any leagues—but they meet diligently every week for practice (he actually plays with two teams but it still isn’t clear to me what the difference is between them except that one team is better than the other). This requires some dedication because practices for both teams are either very late in the evening or very early in the morning. At the end of their season, before they take a break for the summer, the players come together and have a full-length game. I wanted to go last year and this year but wasn’t able to make it either time. Instead I asked him to send me a picture of himself in all of his gear. Last year he sent me a selfie of himself before the game, but without his gear on so I hoped this year he would manage to get a picture with both. He did not. I was willing to drop it, figur

And so it begins!

Only 2 more days before I leave for my next adventure! Over these past couple of weeks, I’ve had a lot of questions and they’ve followed a general pattern. I thought this would be the perfect place to answer all of them at once. For the geographically inclined, Finland is far north right next to Russia. It is so far north that a fourth of the country is in the Arctic Circle. This means that this part of Finland experiences the midnight sun, when the sun never sets in the summer, and the polar night, when the sun doesn’t rise during the winter. The far north is also known as the Lapland. Turku, the city that will be my new home for the next two years, is in the southwest corner of Finland so my day and nights won’t be as extreme as the Lapland but it will be more extreme than what we experience here in the Midwest. My plane journey to Finland will be a total of nine hours, with a very short layover in Iceland. Once I land in Helsinki, I only have an hour-forty-minute lo