Skip to main content

It's a mad cat world


It turns out that cats really do have distinct personalities. Enough so that people can spend hours analyzing the preferences and quirks of each of them. So when you have four you have quite a lot of content for a lengthy conversation. Or a blog post as the case might be.



Among my four furry companions the last
Goofball
three weeks I was in Berkeley, was Madame Fluffles, who was a true Madame and stayed in her room and demanded that her nightly treat be brought upstairs to her, hissed if the two younger cats came on the bed and insisted on sitting on only things that were white and fluffy. There was Mr. Fluffles, the other older cat who knew to run away from me because I would try to pick him up, wandered through the house as though he was the lord of it and would ram his head repeatedly into my hand and leg while I sat in the kitchen until I pet him. Selma was the only cat who would let me pick her up, would climb into my lap whenever I sat on the floor and liked to sprint across the room and scamper up the scratching post while I refilled the food bowls.


Mr Fluffles


And then there was Goofball.



Goofball was initially afraid of me. She would jump any time I made any noise or even walked into the room. But she quickly realized that I was her only ticket to treats and petting and so she got past this stage rather soon. It didn’t take me long to figure out that she was a rather silly cat.



I realized this at the same time Goofball earned her nickname (I gave all of the cats except Selma nicknames). I was sitting on the floor in the kitchen petting Selma who was in my lap. Goofball was nearby, reaching her paw under the fridge as she is wont to do. As I got up to get work done, I realized Goofball’s paw was rather deep under the fridge. She was also squirming a little. Then she started purring desperately and I begin panicking as it dawned on me that she was stuck and I didn’t know how to get her out.



After that I started noticing all her quirks. She got her paws into every door that she could and thus had forced her owners to protect their toilet paper roles because she had shredded them from under the door. She would run to the kitchen every time I opened it, thinking I was going to give them their evening treat. It didn’t matter what time of day it was. Once she climbed up onto the ledge over the kitchen sink that held all of the plants and couldn’t get back down.



Selma
After living in a house with 60 people, the privacy afforded by a house to myself with only four cats as companions was a sudden luxury.  The cats gave the fickle cat-love that people are also wont to do but I didn’t mind. They were still furry and adorable even if cleaning litter boxes for four cats was a pain sometimes.



The owners told me that I would either grow to love cats or hate them by the end of the three weeks. I thought that I would remain fairly neutral but it turns out that it is rather nice having a furry feline purring in your lap once in a while. Maybe someday I will get a cat. But just one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story time

I want to use this entry to write some of the stories that I think have been important or interesting while here in Finland. They aren't necessarily related to each other or even remotely profound in any way but they are all important to me for various reasons. The first is not even a specific moment but a place and a feeling. Right in front of the cathedral there is a bridge that crosses the Aura River. It is a beautiful bridge, with a cobbled stone path running parallel to the busy street. The cathedral stands tall on one side of the bridge and around it is a small square, also with cobbled stone. On the other side of the cathedral, running all the way along the river to the harbor is a promenade speckled with coffee shops and benches. One day when crossing the bridge I heard the unmistakable sound of bagpipes. Sure enough, there was a man playing them while standing close to the bridge. Hearing him filled me with a sense of gratitude for how many people

Finnish Differences

Time is a funny thing. It seems to move in leaps and bounds at times and at times it moves slower than molasses. Right now it's doing both. I can't believe it's only been a week and yet I can't believe it's already been a week. Sunset in Helsinki This week I've been in Helsinki for our Fulbright orientation. We learned a lot of information and it would be impossible for me to fit all of it into a reasonable amount of space so I will leave that summary for another day. But a week has given me some time to notice some differences in how things work in Finland and how they work in the US. I thought I would highlight five here that encompass a fair variety of my experiences so far. I have to give credit to my friend Marie who helped me with this list. Many of these are her ideas. 1. Nature is Everywhere This one is first because I think it is the most important one for Finns. Finnish people love nature and it shows in the way cities are built (at least th

And so it begins!

Only 2 more days before I leave for my next adventure! Over these past couple of weeks, I’ve had a lot of questions and they’ve followed a general pattern. I thought this would be the perfect place to answer all of them at once. For the geographically inclined, Finland is far north right next to Russia. It is so far north that a fourth of the country is in the Arctic Circle. This means that this part of Finland experiences the midnight sun, when the sun never sets in the summer, and the polar night, when the sun doesn’t rise during the winter. The far north is also known as the Lapland. Turku, the city that will be my new home for the next two years, is in the southwest corner of Finland so my day and nights won’t be as extreme as the Lapland but it will be more extreme than what we experience here in the Midwest. My plane journey to Finland will be a total of nine hours, with a very short layover in Iceland. Once I land in Helsinki, I only have an hour-forty-minute lo