Skip to main content

Policy, Privilege and Pudding


Temptation incarnate
I have now told myself that I really need to cut down on my sugar habit at least five times since coming to Berkeley. To be clear, this only counts the times I have said this with the serious will power to try changing my eating habits. There are numerous other times when I have thought I ought to change my eating whilst eating a cookie or buying the fourth ice cream in the past five days. My poor fellow has had to deal with listening to me say on every one of these occasions that this time will be different or listen to me dwell excessively on how the day went in terms of eating sugar for the entire time. He’s been a good sport about it and doesn’t judge me for my inability to stay away.

I am about to start on my sixth endeavor. This time, I have set a time frame and I am planning on sticking to it. Even though it makes the hours seem so much longer as I continuously talk myself out of eating the chocolate pudding temptingly sitting in the fridge.

Every time I have had to restart my goal because of a brief cave-in (which usually lasts many more days than I care to admit), I realized how privileged I am. People don’t judge me for a moral failure because a) I am skinny b) I am rather well-off c) I have a good education.

There are, sadly, many who do not get the same privilege.

In this podcast, Lindy West, the author of Shrill and a columnist at The Guardian talks about some of the stigmas society holds for people who are fat (she says she doesn’t like the word overweight because it implies there is a correct weight). Among these is that people who are fat some how lack the moral fortitude to control themselves.

As skinny person, people usually tell me that I can get away with eating sugar and that I should enjoy it while I can. “After 30,” they say, “it all goes downhill.”

Barring the tacit agreement the world seems to have on the right for skinny people to eat whatever they want (even though this doesn’t necessarily mean they are healthy), my class on Social Welfare Policy has made me realize just how deep these beliefs go.

Because the truth is that our judgements about others greatly impact what kind of help we are willing to give to them. And this is true not only in terms of our personal interactions but at the policy level as well. The reality of American policy is that it is made by a bunch of old white men who live in a bubble and have the ultimate say in how our country treats the poor, the needy and the disadvantaged.

Much of the policy we talk about in class is related to the poor because much of the social welfare policy that is most debated is the policy that gives aid to the poor. Policy can fall under one of three philosophies, universal, earned or charity. An example of a universal policy is education. Earned welfare are Social Security and Medicare, both of which you have to work for in order to get the benefits. Charity are given to people who meet a certain criteria but they do not have to do anything to get the benefits.

Take a guess which one gives the least benefits, comes with a high degree of stigma and politicians in the US generally don’t like to give: charity. And take another guess who uses the charity benefits the most: people living in poverty.

The US is founded on values of personal responsibility, individual freedom and strong family values. In fact, the idea of America being a meritocracy has been around for centuries. If you tried hard enough, lived a good, moral and upright life, you could get anywhere in America. These are injected into every policy decision we make and in every value judgement we make as a society on swathes of the population. Overweight people are blamed for lacking responsibility for their own health, poor people have no financial responsibility.

I didn’t realize the importance of these values until I learned that the value most cherished in Finland is equity. Finland takes care of the homeless by providing social homes. Pregnant women and young mothers (and fathers) are taken care of through extensive prenatal and postnatal care. Preschool is universal and there are even talks for a basic income regardless of your employment status.

But if your fundamental beliefs are that people need to be able to pull themselves from the bootstraps then you will not be willing to give them any leeway for if they slip and fall.

Something fundamental has to change to remove these stigmas. Just as changing my eating habits is requiring me to change my thinking by paying more attention to what I eat and how much I eat, we need a societal shift in the way we think about helping other people and the effect helping them has on us as a whole. It's not an easy fix. But most things that matter rarely ever are easy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story time

I want to use this entry to write some of the stories that I think have been important or interesting while here in Finland. They aren't necessarily related to each other or even remotely profound in any way but they are all important to me for various reasons. The first is not even a specific moment but a place and a feeling. Right in front of the cathedral there is a bridge that crosses the Aura River. It is a beautiful bridge, with a cobbled stone path running parallel to the busy street. The cathedral stands tall on one side of the bridge and around it is a small square, also with cobbled stone. On the other side of the cathedral, running all the way along the river to the harbor is a promenade speckled with coffee shops and benches. One day when crossing the bridge I heard the unmistakable sound of bagpipes. Sure enough, there was a man playing them while standing close to the bridge. Hearing him filled me with a sense of gratitude for how many people

Finnish Differences

Time is a funny thing. It seems to move in leaps and bounds at times and at times it moves slower than molasses. Right now it's doing both. I can't believe it's only been a week and yet I can't believe it's already been a week. Sunset in Helsinki This week I've been in Helsinki for our Fulbright orientation. We learned a lot of information and it would be impossible for me to fit all of it into a reasonable amount of space so I will leave that summary for another day. But a week has given me some time to notice some differences in how things work in Finland and how they work in the US. I thought I would highlight five here that encompass a fair variety of my experiences so far. I have to give credit to my friend Marie who helped me with this list. Many of these are her ideas. 1. Nature is Everywhere This one is first because I think it is the most important one for Finns. Finnish people love nature and it shows in the way cities are built (at least th

And so it begins!

Only 2 more days before I leave for my next adventure! Over these past couple of weeks, I’ve had a lot of questions and they’ve followed a general pattern. I thought this would be the perfect place to answer all of them at once. For the geographically inclined, Finland is far north right next to Russia. It is so far north that a fourth of the country is in the Arctic Circle. This means that this part of Finland experiences the midnight sun, when the sun never sets in the summer, and the polar night, when the sun doesn’t rise during the winter. The far north is also known as the Lapland. Turku, the city that will be my new home for the next two years, is in the southwest corner of Finland so my day and nights won’t be as extreme as the Lapland but it will be more extreme than what we experience here in the Midwest. My plane journey to Finland will be a total of nine hours, with a very short layover in Iceland. Once I land in Helsinki, I only have an hour-forty-minute lo