Skip to main content

A Visit



Summer classes are in full swing, but I’ve been having a hard time getting back into that workaholic mode that characterized the fall and spring semesters. There is time every morning to go through my elaborate morning routine that I consider to be my “me time” before I start classwork. And each day I try to go outside to soak in the sunshine and the few oases of greenery that are close by.

The luscious yard of a home in New Jersey
Yet for three days last week, I did none of these things. My morning routine went out the window, as did the chance to do any classwork. Instead, I spent it wrapped in the love and joy of family as a beloved aunt, uncle and cousin came to visit. My brother also made time to take a whirlwind trip from Boston so we could all be together.

My cousin spent a night at my place and my aunt asked me if she was the first visitor to stay with me. I told her no. The bf has visited, as has a close friend and my parents. But as much as I loved all of these previous guests, there was something different about this visit.

Objectively, we didn’t do as much of the typical sightseeing than I have done with any of my other visitors. Most of our time together was spent sitting and chatting while moving from one location to another. We went to the public library, went inside and then quickly left and sat outside in Bryant Park right behind it. We walked to Rockefeller Center, looked up at the ceiling and then found a table to sit and talk. Other times we went to the mall.

After the first hour at the mall, my usual habit of comparing how I was spending time with them with an imagined ideal trip full of cultural exploration crept up again. Being in a mall did not seem cultural or like exploration and I started thinking I was failing at being host.

For once though, I was able to put those thoughts aside. This visit was not about me or what anyone else thought was the right or wrong way to travel. This trip was about my aunt and her family--about our family--as we come together to heal from what has been a difficult year for all of us.

But it was the difficulty brought on by this year that filled me with love and led me, for the first time, to completely stop thinking about myself. I immersed in thinking about spending time with my family and making each moment count to bring them even the smallest bit of happiness.

This visit was my favorite of the year because of this love.

My cousin making us dinner
And so we spent our time together doing things that made them happy. This meant going shopping in stores that aren’t accessible for them, though they seemed ordinary to my brother and me. It meant spending an evening with some of my uncle’s family who has created a pocket of Indianness within the Americanness of New York City. They were unabashedly loud and though the Finn in me rebelled against the noise, the Indian in me was thrilled. I was force fed more than I wanted to eat (saved by my aunt and cousin who sympathetically took some of the food from my plate). We played carom on a carom board that was tall enough to reach my waist and reminded me of my nani's house where we would spend lazy afternoons playing carom with my cousins.

And thus, for us visiting places meant going there and immediately finding a seat where we could pull out the chai and biscuits my aunt made sure to carry with us. We spoke exclusively in Hindi so by the end of the three days, it felt strange to speak in English. My cousin ate a bagel for the first time, became an expert at swiping into the metro station and insisted on carrying the umbrella over both of our heads in a downpour even though she was shorter than me, resulting in both of us getting soaked on one half of our bodies.

In the stress of work and school, it has been easy to become absorbed in myself. But their visit, and this year, have taught me that true joy comes from the people in our lives and in loving them fiercely. The work and stress can wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Story time

I want to use this entry to write some of the stories that I think have been important or interesting while here in Finland. They aren't necessarily related to each other or even remotely profound in any way but they are all important to me for various reasons. The first is not even a specific moment but a place and a feeling. Right in front of the cathedral there is a bridge that crosses the Aura River. It is a beautiful bridge, with a cobbled stone path running parallel to the busy street. The cathedral stands tall on one side of the bridge and around it is a small square, also with cobbled stone. On the other side of the cathedral, running all the way along the river to the harbor is a promenade speckled with coffee shops and benches. One day when crossing the bridge I heard the unmistakable sound of bagpipes. Sure enough, there was a man playing them while standing close to the bridge. Hearing him filled me with a sense of gratitude for how many people

And so it begins!

Only 2 more days before I leave for my next adventure! Over these past couple of weeks, I’ve had a lot of questions and they’ve followed a general pattern. I thought this would be the perfect place to answer all of them at once. For the geographically inclined, Finland is far north right next to Russia. It is so far north that a fourth of the country is in the Arctic Circle. This means that this part of Finland experiences the midnight sun, when the sun never sets in the summer, and the polar night, when the sun doesn’t rise during the winter. The far north is also known as the Lapland. Turku, the city that will be my new home for the next two years, is in the southwest corner of Finland so my day and nights won’t be as extreme as the Lapland but it will be more extreme than what we experience here in the Midwest. My plane journey to Finland will be a total of nine hours, with a very short layover in Iceland. Once I land in Helsinki, I only have an hour-forty-minute lo

Small Acts of Love

A game of hockey going on on the river My boyfriend plays on a hockey team from September to May. It isn’t an official team—they don’t play games throughout the season and aren’t in any leagues—but they meet diligently every week for practice (he actually plays with two teams but it still isn’t clear to me what the difference is between them except that one team is better than the other). This requires some dedication because practices for both teams are either very late in the evening or very early in the morning. At the end of their season, before they take a break for the summer, the players come together and have a full-length game. I wanted to go last year and this year but wasn’t able to make it either time. Instead I asked him to send me a picture of himself in all of his gear. Last year he sent me a selfie of himself before the game, but without his gear on so I hoped this year he would manage to get a picture with both. He did not. I was willing to drop it, figur